Annual Sheep Shearing at Middleton Place
Bring the whole family to the Stableyards at Middleton Place for a full day of activities, including:
- A sheep shearing demonstration using traditional steel blade hand shears.
- Red Creek Farm will be here to do duck and sheep herding demonstrations with Border Collies.
- A wool felting program presented by Charleston visual artist Kim Keelor.
- A hands-on demonstration of carding/drop spindle and spinning by resident artisans.
- An indigo dyeing demonstration where kids can dye cloth to take home with them.
- Featuring a demonstration from The Johns Island Knitting Group.
Don’t miss this opportunity to learn more about the history and culture of the Low Country,
This program is included with General Admission and is free for members. Purchase general admission tickets here
The Gulf Coast sheep and other livestock in the Stableyards are documented to have been present at Middleton Place in the 18th and 19th centuries. Today they are an integral part of the National Historic Landmark’s educational programming.