Middleton Place will immerse young people in South Carolina history by introducing them to one of America’s Founding Families and to the daily activities of a working Low Country rice plantation. The Sparking Interest in History summer camp is filled with hands-on activities and demonstrations, and personalized tours and programs specially prepared by the professional staff at Middleton Place National Historic Landmark. The fun and educational programs will provide valuable real-life experience and will inspire the next generation with an interest in history, social studies, science and art.
July 15 – 19, 2019 | 9:00 am – 12:15 pm
Ages 8 and up (space is limited) | $100/camper (includes daily programming and snacks)
Camp Highlights Include…
- Explore the lives of the Middleton family with hands-on activities from the Middleton Place archives.
- Go “beyond the fields” and learn about the role of enslaved people in rice culture and beyond.
- Meet heritage breed animals from Gulf Coast sheep to water buffalo.
- Visit the working Middleton Place Organic Farm and see how crops are grown.
- Learn about South Carolina’s native flora and fauna on nature walks and garden tours.
- See the plantation by horse-drawn carriage as the Middleton family did in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Indigo Dyeing, Candle Dipping, Pinch Pots, Corn Grinding
Potter, Blacksmith, Cooper/Carpenter, Seamstress
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-556-6020