In honor of Arthur Middleton’s 280th birthday, the Middleton Place House Museum will be presenting “Arthur’s Octave” – a special exhibit commemorating the life of Arthur Middleton from his birth on June 26, 1742 to his signing of the Declaration of Independence in July of 1776.
Highlights of the exhibit include:
- An 1818 silk edition of the Declaration of Independence
- Arthur’s South Carolina Militia Commission dated 1 March 1776
- A probate record of his property, including the names of the people he enslaved
- The official Seal of South Carolina which he helped to design in 1776
- A collection of clothing, documents, objects, and textiles related to both Arthur Middleton, his wife Mary Izard Middleton, and their family
This special exhibit will be on display from June 20 – July 10. Tickets to the House Museum can be purchased at the Visitor Center.