Donate to Middleton Place Foundation here.
As 2022 comes to a close, we are reflecting with gratitude on your continued loyal support of the Foundation. This year has shown us that the Foundation’s role in preserving and sharing the stories of our complex American history has never been more critical, and we are proud of our collective accomplishments, which included:
- Hosted the Reunion of the Descendants of Middleton Place, where almost 300 African American and European descendants gathered for a weekend of education, fellowship, and dialogue.
- Published American Landmark: Charles Duell and the Rebirth of Middleton Place by Virginia Beach.
- Hosted the first public Naturalization Ceremony since the pandemic, welcoming 68 new citizens to the United States.
- The Middleton Scholars Education Assistance Fund provided scholarship awards to eight African American descendants of Middleton Place.
- Completed the Mill Stabilization and Resiliency Project funded by the SC Department of Archives and History.
- Partnered with the Low Country Juneteenth Festival and Beacon Community Bank honoring four living participants of the 1969 Charleston Hospital Strike.
- Presented a special exhibit of Ashley’s Sack in the House Museum. This essential collection item is now on loan to the International African American Museum.
- Launched a volunteer gardening program for America’s Oldest Landscaped Gardens.
- Through research by our dedicated historians, we updated the panel in Eliza’s House, listing the names of the enslaved Africans and African Americans owned by the Middletons. The panel now has 3200 names.
- A new panel was also added to the Edmondston-Alston House with names of 892 enslaved African and African Americans owned by the Edmondstons and the Alstons.
- Welcomed two new water buffalo to the Heritage Breeds program in the Stableyards and raised enough funds at Art in the Barn to complete the fencing project.
hese accomplishments and others were made possible by your support and by a very dedicated staff, volunteer corps, and Board of Trustees working to advance the mission of Middleton Place Foundation.
If you have already made a donation this year, thank you. Every dollar donated supports the Foundation’s mission to preserve and share American history and positively impact our community and beyond. All contributions, no matter what size, are important and are tax-deductible.
Thank you, and have a safe and happy New Year!