Tell the story of Middleton Place, National Historic Landmark, while driving a team of Belgian horses.
Key areas of responsibility
- Lead a horse-driven carriage while telling the story of Middleton Place
- General care and feeding of horses and other Stableyards animals
- Cross-train to assist in general barn maintenance
- Perform other duties as needed, including work with water buffalo
- Ability to clearly communicate with visitors while driving a carriage
- Strong work ethic
- Willingness to work as a team
- Experience with horses preferred (training will be provided)
- Experience working in a stable or barn environment preferred
- Stamina for working outside in changing weather conditions
Terms of employment
- Part-time with flexible schedule (weekends required)
- Must have a valid SC driver’s license and reliable transportation
Overall Job Summary:
- On a rotating schedule, work in the Visitor and Orientation Center acting as the initial point of contact for visitors and guests to Middleton Place. Check in guests, sell tickets and orientate visitors to the property.
- On a rotating schedule, work in the Garden Market as a retail sales representative, greeting guests, assisting with retail and food purchases, restocking merchandise when necessary and operating the POS system.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Welcome visitors to Middleton Place verbally
- Introduce visitors to the Middleton Place experience using printed materials, informational signs and interpretive panels
- Sell tickets by property operating cash register and following all accounting procedures
- Maintain an adequate inventory of promotional and operational supplies
- Clean Visitors Center area
- Assist visitors in planning for various tours during their visit to Middleton Place
- Build a knowledge base on the retail items sold in the Garden Market; having the ability to speak to customers about the product, the artist etc.
- Operate a retail POS system and credit card machine
- Set up displays, restock inventory and additional ad hoc projects
- Park cars during special events such as weddings and other after-hour functions
- Provide visual security and report any issues to manager and/or head of security
- Assist Carriage Drivers when needed
- Help sell Middleton Place plants in the Nursery
- Assist Middleton Place Foundation in other departments such as Food Service, Maintenance or Stableyards to promote the well-being of Middleton Place
Skills Required to Perform the Duties of the Job:
- Ability to work in a friendly manner with coworkers and guests
- Ability to use computer and credit card machines
- Ability to communicate information clearly to visitors and coworkers
- Knowledge of daily activities and history of Middleton Place
- Basic understanding of Low Country gardening techniques
Educational Requirements Needed to Perform the Duties of the Job:
- High School Diploma
Weight Lifting (or other physical) Requirements to Perform the Duties of the Job:
- Lifting of boxes of promotional supplies
- Stamina for working long hours in hot/humid conditions of summer and cold conditions of winter
*Valid drivers license and work history required*
This position receives hourly compensation.
If you are interested in volunteering, please visit the Volunteer page.