Middleton Place
(800) 782-3608
  • MP header arhsrev
  • MP-Aerial-Home-Page
  • MP-pano-greensward Home-Page
Middleton Place

Cattle

Beef was a major early export for the Carolina colony and cattle have been an important part of the livestock population at Middleton Place since its founding. Various breeds such as Devons and Piney Woods cattle are believed to have occupied Middleton pastures and savannas in the 18th and 19th centuries. A Middleton plantation journal records, "a full Devon bull calf named Napoleon III." In 1850, 100 "milch cows" and 1000 "other cattle" (for beef) were being husbanded at Middleton Place.

Middleton Place