Four Generations of Middletons
Edward Middleton emigrated from England to Barbados and from there to South Carolina in 1678, eight years after the founding of Charleston. Receiving large grants of land on Goose Creek, not far from the colonial capital, he settled a plantation he named The Oaks, and served as Lords Proprietors deputy and assistant Justice. Dying in 1685; his estate then passed to his son, Arthur, who also was active in public life and became president of the convention that, in 1719, overthrew the Lords Proprietors. This Arthur Middleton had three sons of whom his middle son, Henry, in 1741 married Mary, daughter and heiress of John Williams, a wealthy landowner, Justice of the Peace and member of the Assembly. Mary Williams’s dowry included the house and lands that became known as Middleton Place, owned successively by four generations of Middletons from 1741 through the Civil War.