Middleton Place is pleased to offer a new teaching resource for educators in the Low Country. The Middleton Place Travelling Trunk provides useful materials for educators to supplement their class room instruction in early South Carolina and American history.
Please do not miss this opportunity to incorporate a local historical landmark into your curriculum!
Included in the Trunk are resource materials pertaining to many different aspects of Middleton Place:
· In-class games such as crosswords and word searches
· The DVD and book Middleton Place: A Phoenix Still Rising, which details the history of the Middleton family and Middleton Place
· The book Beyond the Fields, which details the lives and culture of enslaved workers
· An extensive primary source document, power points, and historical prints and pictures.
The Trunk also contains objects designed for hands-on activities
· Wooden objects, such as barrel staves, made by the MP cooper
· Handmade and fired pottery from the MP potter
· A handmade iron hook from the MP blacksmith
· Hand-woven and dyed cloth from the MP seamstress.
Because agriculture was the mainstay of the Low Country economy, including Middleton Place, items pertaining to the various aspects of cultivation are provided in the Trunk, including:
· A mortar and pestle and a fanner basket used in rice production
· Cow peas, Indigo seeds, and Carolina Gold rice seed packets that the school may keep for use in its own garden
· Animal hide and horn
· Cotton, flax, and wool.